Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

It has been way too long since I've posted, and I have no time today, either. I hope to start back up with regularity soon; today I'll just post this Lenten prayer, courtesy of the inimitable Fr. Z :

"Sacrificium quadragesimalis initii sollemniter immolamus,te, Domine, deprecantes,ut per paenitentiae caritatis laboresa noxiis voluptatibus temperemus,et, a peccatis mundati,ad celebrandam Filii tui passionemmereamur esse devoti.
(Super oblata prayer for Ash Wednesday)

This prayer has roots in the ancient Gelasian and the Gregorian Sacramentary.

REALLY LITERAL VERSION:
Praying to You, O Lord,we solemnly raise up the Sacrifice of the beginning of Lent, so that through the exertions of the charity of penitence we may abstain from harmful pleasures, and, cleansed from sins, we may be worthy to be dedicated to celebrating the Passion of Your Son. "

May we all keep a holy Lent.

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God :
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

No comments:

I loved Fr. Z's so much, I had to get my own.